Italian Portobello Stuffed Mushrooms
Mushrooms are one of my favorite foods. I’m always looking for new ways to incorporate them into meals. This recipe takes a simple Portobello Mushroom and turns it into an Italian meal you’ll want to make weekly.
Italian Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms Cleaned, Stems & Insides Removed
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 32 oz Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 32 oz Canned Tomato Sauce
- 1 small Onion Diced
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Let’s pre-cook the mushrooms. This will shorten the cooking time.
- Set oven to 350º F
- Place the cleaned mushrooms on an oiled baking sheet and put in the oven for 20 minutes.
While the Mushrooms are in the oven lets make the sauce:
- Add 2 tbsp of Oil to a medium sized saucepan on medium heat. Let the oil heat up. Add the Onions and Garlic to the pan and saute for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add Diced Tomatoes, Tomato Sauce, Salt, Pepper, & Italian Seasoning to pan. Stir and bring to a boil about 5-10 minutes. Once it reaches a boil to turn off the heat.
Now to constructing the mushrooms:
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven. You will notice liquid pooling in the center of the mushrooms. This is from the mushroom releasing its water content. Remove each mushroom and pour out the liquid into the sink. Place back on the baking sheet.
- Add a 1/4 cup of Ricotta to each mushroom. Layer Sauce and Mozzarella Cheese on top.
- Place back in the oven for another 20 minutes or until Mozzarella Cheese is melted.
- Serve with a salad of your choice.